Chaotic Solitude

Inside every (wo)man there is always an urge to find a structure in Chaos !

Thursday, May 27, 2004

Filter Coffee
Being a South Indian (and a Chennaite) , mornings have always dawned with a strong cup of Filter coffee and a newspaper ("The Hindu" to be precise). After moving to Bangalore, only one thing had changed for me - Times of India had replaced Hindu. I know I am not talking like a typical Chennaite here - by shifting loyalties to another paper; Anyway now I like TOI more than Hindu; sincere apologies to Arun who, I guess, still remains an avid Hindu reader.

After moving here to the US, I tried my initial days with Starbucks and NYTimes - But to tell the truth, it was not good for my wallet :-( So had to be content with the Internet versions of newspapers. Although I have been using the internet for a long time, I am still not comfortable with the net version of newspapers. Navigation is the biggest problem. Nothing like reading the 6-column newspaper sipping a hot cup of filter coffee :-(

Fortunately, Yesterday, I happened to find this site PressDisplay.com - Newspaper Replicas From Around the World. I could smell filter coffee.... ummm :-)

6 Comments:

  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not sure how familar you are with the UK "quality newspaper" scene - but The Guardian has been doing an "online" version of the paper which seems to have won some favourable reviews. Check out the following article from BowBlog re the digital version of The Guardian:

    http://www.bowblog.com/archives/000593.html#000593

    Perhaps there is still hope for online newspapers?

    Best regards - Jag
    http://www.route79.com/journal

     
  • At 12:32 AM, Blogger Abisurd said…

    When the hell did you go to US? On some project? Do write back to me at
    sandeep.gbs@mailnull.com

    I'll be waiting for your mail...

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Cogito said…

    There could be no greater insult to " THE HINDU" than to compare it with TOI ..

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger GBS said…

    Yeah Jag, "The Guardian's" approach is better. It gives sort of same feeling of holding the newspaper in your hands. Now I understand how difficult change can be...

    GrBser, will write to you soon...

    Arun, he heee.. I wanted to provoke you through this post and now I am satisfied.. ;)But all said and done, Hindu is bland.. we need some masala ;-) May be on the question of editorial integrity and news coverage Hindu wins... but still I would stick to TOI; Its kinda gives u a feeling of a neighbourhood newspaper.

     
  • At 5:35 AM, Blogger marina said…

    Hello,
    I'm also from Chennai and also love my cup of hot and strong filter "Kappi" (as they call it down south). I found your article very interesting.
    So I thought you should know that Fresh and honest offers patented Swiss fresh milk coffee vending machines in India at only the installation cost for corporates. Owners now have the option to pay either per cup of filter coffee or buy coffee beans per KG. Their 24/7 free vending machine upkeep along with a 4 - 24 Hr service turn around time makes them one of the most preferred coffee vending machines provider in the country.
    http://www.fresh-honest.com/

    Thanks again
    Marina Lobo

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger South Florida Vending Machines Services said…

    The Guardian has been doing an online" version of the paper which seems to have won some favourable reviews.
    South Florida Soda Vending Machines

     

Post a Comment

<< Home